Saturday 14 October 2017

Face Value

I wrote this yesterday. It's not a "take", I just was suddenly struck by all the meaning of "Face value" in the film business and it just poured out of me.

Though it's a bit crass to explain and justify your own writing, because I'm pleased with how this turned out, I want to say that it deliberately starts quite simply, quite prosaically, and then as it goes on the idea was for the rhymes to mount up, for the pace to escalate, to feel like they are trapping you and hurrying you.

Anyway, it is what is, it's not deep or all that clever ...

FACE VALUE

I can’t place value
On the face that god gave you,
It would grace New York and LA,
Let me tell you.
Let my people call you,
I can’t wait till they see you.
They’ll adore you, for sure, I
Can take you and make you a star,
If you let me,
If you take me
At face value.

At dinner, I’m Baloo,
You’ve nothing to fear, then
I turn into Shere Khan
As soon as the door’s shut.
It’s not in the contract
But you must have known that
The door to the lift was
A Faustian pact.
This exchange won’t kill you,
Your pride may be hurt but
The world is yours, in lieu.
I’ll open it wide if
You’ll just let me buy you …
Whatever I want to …
I’ll pay … so don’t cry.

I know how to sell you
 (you won’t tell now, will you? …
The rumour mill shuts down
As soon as I tell it).
Don’t push, you don’t get it,
I don’t ask, I do get –
I got here on merit,
The bold did inherit.
No one wants to hear it …
From you.

Smile now and bear it -
Your face is your passport,
The truth is this business
Can be a bit dirty
If you look past face value
Once you hit thirty
We’ll need to revalue
What that face can make you
And make you a new one.

Do you think that Grace Kelly
Got anywhere fast
Without kissing some ass
I laugh when they vouchsafe
That casting couch rape
Is a thing of the past.
This is the business.
It. Still. Is. Just. This.

It’s best you face facts, now
You’re getting great value
For time spent,
Now I’m meant to feel
Like the user?
You’re using me
That’s what people will see
If you dare breathe a word
Of this
To anyone, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment