Thursday 17 January 2013

Another 31 songs?

Right, that's 31 songs. That was fun and I'm going to keep going, but i'll take a little break to write about something else other than 1 song.

Those 31 songs (well, 32 actually, as The Wilco/Bill Fay songs were part of the same post) were ...

The State I Am In - Belle and Sebastian
Wonderwall - Oasis
The Way We Were - Barbra Streisand
My Name Is - Eminem
Burn it Down - Dexys Midnight Runners
Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
Holes - Mercury Rev
Prince Charming - Adam and the Ants

Better Son/Daughter - Rilo Kiley
White Light - George Michael
My Girls - Animal Collective
Killing Me Softly - The Fugees
Goodbye Suzie - John Howard
With Every Heartbeat - Robyn ft Kleerup
Be Not So Fearful - Bill Fay
Jesus Etc - Wilco



How You Remind Me - Nickelback
Bluetonic - The Bluetones
Boulder to Birmingham - Emmylou Harris
Little Fat Man - David Bowie
Spanish Sahara - Foals
All You Good Good People - Embrace
Losing You - Randy Newman
Yes - McAlmont and Butler

I'm Waiting for the Day - The Beach Boys
Don't Worry Baby - The Beach Boys
Slip on Through - The Beach Boys
When I See your Eyes I Swear To God That Worlds Collided - The Young Republic
True - Spandau Ballet
Shorley Wall - Ooberman
Lost in the Plot - The Dears
Redemption Song - Joe Strummer



Which splits up rather neatly into a double-compilation album (with sleeve readymade). I don't think it's the greatest compilation album ever made, especially as the second half begins with a fair contender for the most horrible song of all time. I have stayed true to my word to include the good, bad and the ugly, and I suppose it's a reasonable mixture of genres.

It turns out it's not too hard to write a fair bit, including tangents, about a song, though I am choosing the songs fairly carefully that I can go off somewhere else with them.

Anyway, like I said, the blog is going to carry on in basically the same style (possibly another 31, possibly going up to 101 if i keep this New Year momentum up), but I've got a couple of random posts coming up now, one of which might be a little ambitious ...

Thanks for continuing to read, and also thanks to those making comments. I like the idea of setting off memories in other people, so if anyone has any comments to make on said songs, feel free.


No comments:

Post a Comment