Friday 12 February 2010

82. 10 Songs about Blue Skies

Blue Skies - The Longpigs
Sky Blue Sky - Wilco
Let Those Blue Skies - Gorky's Zygotic Mynci
Mr Blue Sky - ELO
Blue Sky Blues - Ryan Adams
Blue Skies - Noah and the Whale
Blue Skies - The Young Republic
Sky Blue and Black - Jackson Browne
Into the Blue - Geneva
What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

Funny how, in the depths of winter, there have been more and more posts about the elements - I've had this one ready for a while, but there were some striking blue skies this week - I could look out of my window and imagine it was the height of summer, only to go outside and it was so baltic you could barely feel your fingers. It reminds me of 'Winterlight' by Clearlake, which would be here if it hadn't been in "Winter" - "I can't explain in words, at least none that I've heard, the quality of light around this time of year".
Blue skies are obviously one of the most obvious and well-used symbols of good things and good times, hence the number of good songs about blue skies - and yet blue, in a general sense, itself still means bad. But people don't say "I feel blue like the sky" - the blue of the blues is, I suppose, a darker blue. Still, it's a slight anomaly.
I like the Longpigs song - "Blue skies and children keep you off my mind" - it begins. I always thought that was a great line. The Longpigs, often described as Britpop also-rans, but a band who could probably have been massive. The singer and guitarist have both gone on to have various types of success afterwards.
There was a kid at school called Day and he had sisters called Sky and Blue. Good? I suppose so. I'm sure they turned out well.
So, hmmm, this is about falling in love with someplace where the sky is always blue, though you probably get sick of constant blue skies if you're born with it.

My heart is in your hometown
where I, for once, was young
where winter had been banished
to a wry, unenvied memory,
a lament which went unsung.

My thoughts turn to your hometown
each time my squinting eyes
regret a change of season -
a ballast and a liferaft when
I'm drowning in blue skies.

The castle tower stands tall and proud,
the sailboats crowd the spit.
Who wouldn't love your hometown?
Who could think some grey expanse
would make a better fit?

Month after month your childhood
saw not a single cloud.
Your heart pined for a new land,
for wild, uncertain feelings,
mercurial times and sounds.

I first came to your hometown
proud only of my flaws
and cold contempt for virtues
but I'd never seen virtues
as clear and fair as yours.

You hardly need to tell me
the ways I let you down
but trust that for a short while
you held me up: the short time
I found myself your town.

And now I hear you're travelling
far above the highest cloud.
I'm told that I should follow
but the thought I'd ever catch you's
more than my mind's allowed.

I'm travelling to your hometown
now for the final time
There's a chance you'll return
and if that day should ever come
you'll find your hometown mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment