Tuesday 7 April 2009

17. 10 Fun Songs by Punters who Got Lucky

Mr Brightside - The Killers
Like a Prayer - Madonna
Unbelievable -EMF
Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
One - U2
Eve of Destruction - Barry McGuire
Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
Wires - Athlete
Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio

The above lunks are basically useless, but fate smiled upon them just the once to produce a song of considerable quality.
There are many, many examples of this through music, where someone with no consistent quality hits upon something magical briefly, and in many cases they kid people that their other stuff is good too, and build a critical and commercial career out of it.

It makes me cross. Kind of.

And also there's the fact that when we get snobby and say songs like 'My Heart Will Go On' or You're Beautiful' are cynical cack with no true beauty to them, we ignore the fact that actual people, and probably not bad people, have them at their actual weddings and actual funerals, and they actually mean more, deep down in a real way, to more people than have ever even heard all the songs we actually think are great.

I wrote this ages ago, before I cared if rhymes were silly if they were funny.

There are some who're in line for
what they don't have the time for -
overgrown children with golden tongues
hawking their wears where
ever they dare fare
lying with every last note in their lungs

And sometimes I'm triggered
by such lumpen figures
to see my search for all beauty as finished
and often it chills me
that it slightly thrills me
to see any honest beauty diminished

There are days when i feel like
I'm so down at heel I
can hardly lift my foot to kick out
There are sorry excuses
I'd use to confuse you if
these sorest of thumbs began to stick out.

There are lines in some songs which
always give me a strong itch
to cut off my fingers and write no more -
for sweet or for sad times
it's often the bad lines
which bare our souls and bite at our core

2 comments:

  1. I love this one. No more posts without real poems!

    I feel this way about "turn around, bright eyes..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems too much effort not to feel that way about quite a lot of songs. I was finding myself quite moved by Barbra Streisand the other day, but maybe that's another story

    ReplyDelete