Monday 30 March 2009

14. 10 Songs for Bob Dylan

Song for Bob Dylan - David Bowie
Song to Bobby - Cat Power
Like Dylan in the Movies - Belle and Sebastian
American Pie - Don McLean
Dylan - Emmy the Great
Blonde on Blonde - Nada Surf
Talkin' New Bob Dylan - Loudon Wainwright III
Mr Jones - Counting Crows
Bob Dylan's 49th Beard - Wilco
Diamonds & Rust - Joan Baez

Bob Dylan, eh?
I guess this whole endeavour is in the spirit of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour, where he plays lots of old themed songs people pretend to like because it's Bob Dylan playing them.
Bob Dylan's a crazy man these days. There's nothing he's not doing. I went to see his art exhibition and reallly enjoyed it, safe in the knowledge I know nothing about art.
But does he have anything left in the tank musically? Really, really? The new song i heard today suggests perhaps not. We'll see soon.

This was written before the last one came out and I can't say I feel the same about the forthcoming one.
Bob Dylan's crept into a lot of the things I've written, When I was younger I tried to write like him, but his slightly bullshitty stuff like Desolation Row, not his supercool beautiful stuff like To Ramona and Idiot Wind. My attempts were so hideous, they embarrass me more than leaning on the alarm handle on a tube station by mistake - which is embarrassing.
But here is a brief thought on Bob Dylan's last new album

I'm not sure what lies are being told here
Summer in the city's so different these days.
Anger has aged it - it's gaudier and colder,
Spitting out new forms of rage at random
so I say, for my solace, who gives a fuck
about anything but Bob Dylan's new album?

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes your words make me roll my eyes.
    Sometimes they puzzle me.
    And sometimes they make me cry.

    The lists are always good, though.

    You may have lost your competitive edge, but I sit here jealous as all hell.

    ReplyDelete