Monday 2 March 2009

2. 10 Songs about Dead Film Stars

Here's my second list. I'm trying to make nearly all the songs on all the tapes songs I really like. I haven't quite managed it here:

The Right Profile - The Clash
Vogue - Madonna
Matinee Idol - Rufus Wainwright
Judy - The Pernice Brothers
Grace Kelly - Mika
Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
Candle in the Wind - Elton John
Steve McQueen - Lambchop
Just Like Fred Astaire - James
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

Montgomery Clift
Various
River Phoenix
Judy Garland
"
"
Marilyn Monroe
"
"
Judy Garland

respectively

and last summer I wrote about a film star a month or so before he died
I was thinking about the cool hand
on the hottest day of summer
I was thinking about the blue eyes
staring down the vicious sun

I've been thinking about Paul Newman
how there'll never be another
how he'll leave his life so truly lived
no one else should even bother

I've been thinking about the old man
with the twinkle of a killer
I've been thinking about the airman
from an era lost forever

I've been thinking about Paul Newman
and how much Paul Newman matters
I've been praying for this new world
getting colder, grayer, sadder

No comments:

Post a Comment